Manchester City Ties 2-2 at Liverpool

Defending champion Manchester City twice recovered from being a goal behind to tie 2-2 at Liverpool in English soccer’s Premier League yesterday. Stoke City and Arsenal had a scoreless draw.

Martin Skrtel and Luis Suarez scored for Liverpool, with Yaya Toure and Carlos Tevez getting goals for the visitors at Anfield, a stadium where City has not won in the league since May 2003.

“We had a good performance, we played well,” City manager Roberto Mancini told Sky Sports. “When you don’t win you’re always disappointed, but it’s always hard to play at Anfield.”

Chelsea, the only team to have played three matches, tops the standings with nine points, while Swansea and Everton have six points from two games. West Bromwich Albion and City follow with four points, Stoke and Arsenal are 11th and 12th with two points, with Liverpool in 16th after its first point.

Liverpool suffered an early injury blow, with Lucas pulling a muscle after four minutes. Jonjo Shelvey replaced the Brazilian in midfield.

The home team had an opportunity to take the lead on 18 minutes. Raheem Sterling, a 17-year-old winger making his first league start, crossed toward Fabio Borini, who struck his shot just past the post.

A minute later, City came even closer when Tevez slipped a shot past goalkeeper Pepe Reina only for the ball to roll along the line before hitting the far post. Reina recovered to gather.

Balotelli Chance

Liverpool continued to hold most of the possession, although City should have done better on a breakaway after 32 minutes when Mario Balotelli fired high over the bar when he had teammates in support.

Almost immediately at the other end of the field a Steven Gerrard cross was almost deflected into his own net by City captain Vincent Kompany.

From the resulting corner, Skrtel made a late burst into the penalty area to power a header past Joe Hart.

City introduced Jack Rodwell and Edin Dzeko for Samir Nasri and Balotelli early in the second half and was level on 63 minutes. Tevez battled his way into the area and hit a cross that Reina failed to gather. The ball then hit defender Martin Kelly and dropped for Toure to score.

Parity lasted for three minutes before Suarez curled a 30- yard (27 meter) free kick around the defensive wall and into the bottom corner of the net.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s